The National Institute for Environmental Studies (hereinafter “NIES”) may collect personally identifiable information from the users of this site, including names, addresses, postal codes, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, and fax numbers (hereinafter “Personal Information”). When collecting Personal Information, we will inform you of the purpose during the collection process, and provide you with the contact information of the department responsible for the collection. If we decide to share Personal Information with third parties, we will identify the party with whom we intend to share such information.
1. Basic premise
The National Institute for Environmental Studies, National Research and Development Agency, Japan (hereinafter referred to as “NIES”) collects users’ information at the websites of nies.go.jp and its subdomains, except those with their own privacy policies (hereinafter referred to as the “Site”), to the extent that it is necessary for the smooth implementation of services, such as the provision of information on web pages and the receiving of various opinions. Information collected will be handled appropriately within the scope of the purposes of use.
2. Scope of information gathered
(1) The Site automatically collects and stores Internet domain names, IP addresses, information about access to the Site, etc. Cookies (information transmitted from the server to the user’s browser and stored on the user’s computer in order for the server to identify users) are used on some of the pages of the Site. However, no information identifying individual users is collected through cookies. Users may also set their browsers not to receive cookies at any time.
(2) In the “Contact Form” on the Site, users are requested to register their names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc., as necessary, when giving opinions or making inquiries and so on.
(3) When using the “E-mail Service” and/or the “NIES Mail Magazine delivery service,” users are asked for their e-mail addresses. The user’s occupation and other information may also be requested on a voluntary basis.
(4) When conducting a public comment procedure and other public offerings of opinions, as well as when handling various inquiries, we may ask users to register their addresses, names, ages, gender, occupations, phone numbers, e-mail addresses and other information, as necessary. In addition, the e-mail addresses of the senders will be displayed on the recipient’s e-mail screen.
(5) We may ask users to input their addresses, names, occupations, phone numbers and other information as necessary when registering for PR events, site tours, etc.
3. Purposes of use
(1) The information collected in Item 2 (1) will be used as a reference for the smooth implementation of the service provided by the Site.
(2) The information collected in Item 2 (2) will be used to send replies and/or other necessary communication in response to received opinions and inquiries. Such information may be transmitted to related divisions in NIES, related ministries and/or agencies, etc., in accordance with the context of the opinions and comments.
(3) The information collected in Item 2 (3) will be used to send e-mails through the E-mail Service and/or the NIES Mail Magazine delivery service, etc., for which you registered.
(4) Comments and opinions collected in respect of Item 2 (4), including information provided voluntarily, will be used for reference in the formulating of our policies. We will refer to a registered e-mail address, address, name, and/or phone number when responding to or confirming inquiries. Such information may be transmitted to related divisions in NIES, related ministries and/or agencies, etc., in accordance with the context of the opinions.
(5) When contacting you for confirmation in order to implement smoothly said PR events, etc., the e-mail address, address, name, and/or phone number from the information collected in Item 2 (5) will be used. Statistical information may be made public.
About the use of Google Analytics
NIES assumes no responsibility whatsoever for any damage or loss caused by the use of Google Analytics.
4. Use and disclosure limitations
At NIES, except in cases of legal disclosure requests, cases of illegal access, threats and other unlawful acts, or other special reasons, the information collected will not be used by ourselves for any purposes other than those described in Item 3; nor will it be provided to any third party. However, statistical information regarding access to the Site or information on user attributes may be made public.
5. Measures to ensure security
NIES is taking necessary measures for the appropriate management of collected information so as to prevent any leakage, loss, or destruction of the information.
6. Scope of application
Additionally, please refer to the individual sites of third parties such as social media used on the Site for further information on their privacy policies, etc.
Please contact our “Personal Information Protection Desk” for inquiries or complaints about the handling of personal information by NIES, or requests for disclosure based on “the Act on the Protection of Personal Information Held by Incorporated Administrative Agencies, etc. (the IAA Personal Information Protection Act).”
16-2, Onogawa, Tsukuba City, Ibaraki, 305-8506, Japan
Personal Information Protection Desk
General Affairs Office, General Affairs Department
National Institute for Environmental Studies
[Office is open on weekdays from 9:30am to 12 noon and from 1:00pm to 5:00pm.]